Identify Your Identity
Photo by: Idea go
Your Identity… It is the individual characteristics by which YOU or YOUR BUSINESS are recognized.
Why is knowing your identity important?
Successful individuals understand who they are. In this understanding, they recognize how to capitalize on their strengths and disguise their weaknesses. Knowing who they are or the “brand that is them” guides their mission. It helps clarify their approach and it establishes the consistency that they know their followers expect.
Why should you identify YOUR identity?
Without a clear understanding of who you are, you will never reach your full potential. You will never truly know what you’re capable of.
NOTE: This same logic is important to understand when it comes to your business as well. Your customers need a clear picture of your business and for this to happen, your identity needs to be identified. A clear brand image with a well thought out brand and mission statement are the tools that guide your success.
How can you identify your identity?
- Start by looking at what you are good at or what makes you different…unique. Recognize the aspects of your life that get the most attention or accolades. This is normally a good place to start. “Oh you write so well!”. “You are always reading about technology.” “You are an incredible cook!” These statements are a way to narrow down or recognize a potential.
- Once you have identified a skill set, test it out. If you want to see if you have what it takes as a chef, throw a dinner party with a focus. If you want to see if your writing is good enough, start a blog or digitally publish a short story. Do this knowing that you are looking for your true identity. Whatever you do, give it all you’ve got.
- Garner feedback from “true professionals”. Don’t ask your mom…she already loves everything you do. Ask an established writer to check out your work and give it an honest critique. Invite a real chef to that dinner party.
- Next, analyze your critique. There are only two ways to look at the results…Stop or Go! If the results from the professional are “okay”, “pretty good” or “fantastic”, you may have started identifying your true identity. This is a great time to take it to the next level, to learn more, to practice more and to head in your new-found direction at full speed. If the results are “umm,” “not so good” or “this is horrible”, you might be on the wrong path of identification. There are always exceptions, but for the most part, the professionals are considered to be professionals for a reason. You first have to LISTEN and LEARN before you LEAD.
- Either refocus at this point or start working your true identity.
This is the beginning or sometimes this is a refocusing exercise, but either way you look at it, you need to be AWARE. This awareness is what exposes your passions and ultimately tells you what to do with them.